Friday, June 18, 2010

So the other day at Target after I had finished my shopping, I was in the parking garage walking to my car when I start hearing a yell for help. Literally- a lady yelling, "HELP." My initial reaction was- to be honest- fear. Is she getting raped, mugged? I don't wanna die! It made me a bit skeptical. But in all reality you can't ignore a cry for help. So I look over my car and make eye contact with her and say, "I can help you." Now let me tell you what shocked me most about this situation (just as a warning...the climax is pretty anti-climatic so don't get excited.) Here I am with a baby and a boy with a broken leg, therefore severely delaying my reaction time, and I'm the first person to respond to her desperate plea. I was shocked.  Anyways, the poor lady had locked her keys in the car...along with her 20 month old baby girl. I let her use my cell phone and kinda calmed her down. She was waiting for her husband and I had called Triple A. 15 minutes later, and with all kinds of help on the way, baby Sophie somehow opened the door herself and probably saved her mama from an anxiety attack! It was a precious reunion between mother and daughter! As I reflected on the incident through out the day, I couldn't help being surprised again and again at how many people were unwilling to run to this lady's aid. A good reminder to slow down and think of others.

As I said, we have a little man with a broken leg in the house. Porter got his foot stuck in the bike tire last Wednesday and the end result...a fractured tibia. Poor little man has been quite the trouper. He got casted on Friday and I feel like his big turn around day was Sunday. He had had a good night sleep and seemed to not be in pain. He started scooting around the house on his own and I'm sure that freedom added to his happy mood! When this first happened, I thought we were in for a long six-ish weeks, but it has actually been a nice change of pace. There have been lots of walks, reading, and playing games on the floor and that is the simple life I really like! But at the end of the six weeks, we'll be VERY behind on swimming for the season, so that slow life will go out the door!

Other news, Dallin B graduated from preschool today. Not much to say about that except that we did capture a fabulous engagement picture. If anyone has ever talked to Dallin about and love and girls, then you've heard of Annabelle. Well, all I did was ask these two to if I could take a picture of them (because of course they were already sitting by each other) and this is the pose I got. We'll have to decide between the two!


.

13 comments:

Laura said...

you were probably the best person to help that lady. you have a way of calming people down. and i agree with just trying to slow down and help others. poor little porter. that cast looks miserable. but i am glad it isn't as bad as you thought. it usually turns out that way. and i LOVE the engagement photos. good choice dallin. she is very cute.

Rachel said...

do i dare admit this? the same thing happened to me once. not hearing someone call for help. i locked my keys in the car along with Ian as a baby in the costco parking lot. thankfully a nice passerby let me use their phone to call spencer so he could come to our rescue. poor porter! so glad it's not cramping your family's style too much. and it's so great that kids heal so quickly. also, dallin and his fiance are adorable!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is terrible and yet I can relate. I went to Home Depot, here in Gillette, and some old lady was in a car yelling for help. So I went over to the window and sure enough, she had gotten into the wrong car and locked herself in and needed me to go in the store and ask if whoever owned the car would please come get her out. True story!
Porter P has a sweet spot in my heart. I would love to roll around on the floor with him and give him tickles and tell stories.
DB and his lady friend are too precious!!! Congrats DB on preschool graduation!

brookeisacrazylady said...

love the hair! great family photo

Kady said...

So glad that preschool/regular school are over and that schedule will no longer be cramping our style. We'll see you soon!

Kady said...

So glad that preschool/regular school are over and that schedule will no longer be cramping our style. We'll see you soon!

Lant Family said...

so I really like the new picture of the family on the blog header. So sad about the broken leg--bummer during summer. You are so nice to help that lady. Here in Memphis I would have thought the worse ;)

Jenn and Mike said...

I love your new family photo.... you are such a wonderful persoN!!! Hope your little man gets better.

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! How sad for that lady. I almost did that the other week. But luckily my door was open.

Poor Porter. I love that picture with his face painted and his cast. I am glad he feels better.

CUTE CUTE pictures of Dallin. You should seriously submit that to some contest. What a beautiful couple!haha

PS- Love your hair!

Jess said...

I can't believe people these days .... honestly .... Oh poor Porter!! That stinks, but I am glad things have been going good, don't you love the slow life? I do!! I am LOVING the pics of Dallin .... oh my gosh those two are adorable! I am still fighting for Liv though .... :)

skizzy and amy wright said...

scott and i went for a walk the other day and there was a little old lady screaming in her little old lady voice help, help - someone please help me from her porch. so we went over to her and asked how we could help. she closed her door and said you cant come in here i need real help. then told us to go away. we stood there for a moment in shock not quite sure what to do until another lady came across the street and told her to stop calling for help if she doesnt want any. weirdest thing ever.

xcdenke said...

That was a great story and so proud of you for coming to her aid! You're awesome! Sorry about Porter. You are all troopers. Those engagement photos will make him so embarrassed some day. Love it! They are to-die-for cute!!